We made a Miracle–a difference, I mean

One of my regular running buddies, a family friend and I joined Men’s Health 10,000km Miracle Run. Unlike other runs, it took me a while before I got the three of us registered. We were waiting for other friends for confirmation. Unfortunately, one running friend was busy with work; one would be in Sagada for that week end; and other interested parties couldn’t make it early Sunday morning.

Registration at ROX
I went to ROX BHS after office for the registration. I had all three registration forms filled out and once again, I was excited to hand in the forms. When I asked one of their officers where I could pay, she told me that they weren’t accepting registration anymore and I had to go to the Summit office.

Not again, I thought. I once went to an Anta store, which was completely out of my way, for the Global City Fun Run only to be told that they ran out of forms.

My heart sank. I thought 1,000 particpants had already signed up and blamed myself for delaying the submission. So I asked her why I couldn’t register at their store. She said they ran out of forms. My eyes lit up when I heard this. “I have them printed out,” I announced happily and handed the rolled sheets of paper.

No runny nose
I thought I’d be running with a runny nose, as I’d been sneezing and blowing my nose in the office just a few days prior race day. Fortunately, the water therapy and Vitamin C overload did the trick.

By Friday, I was feeling a whole lot better. I slept for about 10 hours Friday night, as I was anticipating a long night that Saturday—my friend and I would be at our socio-civic event in Laguna. We were two of the three Cinderellas of the night because we left a little past midnight. Before dozing off, I set my alarm to 3:10AM. It was 1:30am, and I prayed that I wouldn’t wake up with a headache.

I’ve always been jumpy whenever my alarm rings for a race, an early run or work out. I got up feeling like I only took a nap. At least walang hangover, I thought. I prepared my instant oatmeal and got ready. I asked my father to bring me and Pao to the gas station where Net would be picking us up at 4AM.

I thought the race would begin at 6AM. Net later told me that the schedule was changed to 6:30AM. We claimed our packets and had them checked in at the baggage counter. We had ample time for a bathroom break, warm up and stretching.

Net and Pao ran as a team, while I ran as individual. Net and I took our places at the start/finish line, with Net assuring Pao that she’d be coming back. We were still wondering where the other team mate should be waiting. Once we figured that it was on one side, we almost stumbled into the group of camera men positioned just a few meters from the start/finish line.

We suddenly remembered that it’s one of those races that would be getting a lot of media attention—spearheaded by a magazine and with a network’s foundation as recipient of the charity fund.
“We forgot our mascara,” Net remarked.
“Yeah, and blush, too,” I quipped, remembering that sunscreen was all I wore on my face.

It was the first time I used my SportBand for a race, but I kept forgetting that I had the gadget on my wrist. I maintained my pace for the first 2kms, but was excited for the first water station as it was a warm sunny Sunday. Too bad all the water stations nothing but warm drinks as well—Gatorade and water.

While nearing the finish line after the first lap, I looked at the SportBand. No way was I finishing it in 30 minutes. Too bad, but I kept going anyway, and emptied the Lemon Lime Gatorade bottle that I’d been carrying since my first water station stop.

Another lap and I saw Lyn, a friend and former office mate. I learned that she was there with some of her buddies from her new work place. Wow! The last time I was with her in the vicinity was in March, when we went clubbing until 5AM.

I would glance at the SportBand to check my pace every now and then. It would read about 5 or 6 or so minutes per kilometer. “Oh come on, you gotta be kidding me,” I wanted to say. “I’m such a slow poke, I can’t be running at such a pace.” But then who was I to judge a gadget of ingenuity?

Lack of sleep taxed my body when I reached 8km. My head was beginning to ache. Or was it because of astigmatism or hunger? The Gatorade, despite being warm, provided me some replenishment. The occasional cool wind was a refreshment as well. A few hundred meters from the finish line, there was this guy cheering the runners, “malapit na,” he said.

My head was aching again, and I decided to get through with the run so I could deal with the head ache soon. I picked up my pace for the last hundred meters, overtaking other runners to the finish line.

I finished at 1:16 according to the SportBand, which I turned off only after I reached the stage. By then, I still had my orange-flavored Gatorade. Net shared that when she finished 5km at about 40 minutes, some individual runners also crossed the line. “Imagine, I only ran one lap, while they’ve already ran the course twice!” she exclaimed. Soon, Pao—who didn’t even eat breakfast—joined us for some photos. It didn’t take long for us to leave—we just changed our shirts and off we ran for breakfast; we were starving.

Net’s brother, who watched the awarding ceremony, said that only 6,000+ kilometers were covered. Aww, we analyzed the different factors:
1. Registration fee is expensive that’s why not a lot of runners joined.
2. Other races fell on the same day.

We were a bit disappointed with the freebies. Just a shirt? I was expecting a free copy of Men’s Health Magazine, not that I need it. A friend of mine was featured in their latest issue. And the cover happens to be my big crush, Jon Mullaly. Oh well, at least we made a miracle, I mean a difference, with our collective 20km run.


One thought on “We made a Miracle–a difference, I mean

  1. I also joined the Miracle Run. I was disappointed with the freebies too. Kahit back-issues wala. It was for a cause anyway.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s